The UW Fruit Crops Pathology Program is looking for a highly motivated researcher to conduct lab and field studies on wood-infecting fungi in Wisconsin apple orchards. This research will involve evaluating pathogen inoculum dispersal, pruning wound susceptibility, and conditions for canker development and expansion. Opportunities for publication of extension articles and peer-reviewed papers, research presentations, and travel to scientific meetings.
Additionally, this position will include lab managerial responsibilities including assisting graduate students with research (i.e. sample collection, processing, data analysis), developing protocols, diagnosing diseases, writing extension articles and fact sheets, training undergraduates, organizing safety resources and trainings, maintaining lab supply stock and organization, and other tasks as needed.
The position will be lab-based at UW-Madison and will require field trials and travel around the state. This Research Intern position is approximately 70% research and 30% managerial and will be supervised by Dr. Leslie Holland in the Department of Plant Pathology. The candidate will ideally begin in June or July 2022. This is a full-time position with a minimum commitment of 2.5 years. Must be a U.S. citizen.
– B.S. in plant pathology, biology, or related field
– 2+ years of research experience during/after undergraduate education
– Strong work ethic and ability to work outdoors for extended periods of time. Fieldwork may require early mornings/late days
– Strong communication skills
– Excellent organization and time-management skills
– Clean driving record and ability to drive an automatic truck or van
– M.S. in plant pathology
– Field experience
– Experience working with fungi (isolation, culturing, PCR, DNA sequencing)
– Interest and experience in writing both scientific and extension articles
– Positive attitude
TO APPLY, please contact Dr. Leslie Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 21 with
– Résumé/CV including any papers, awards, talks, etc.
– Cover letter detailing research experience and research interests
– List of 2-3 references
More details for this position can be found at https://jobs.wisc.edu/research-internshipsThis article was posted in Uncategorized.